Thursday, August 2, 2007

Distractions


Give me a "D"
Give me a "R"
Give me an "A"

Give me a "M"
Give me another "A"
What's that spell "DRAMA"

As women we can sometimes fall into the "Drama Queen" mode. Men don't like to be called "drama", so we'll use the word, "passionate"...it really all boils down to us being OVER-REACTIVE to the situations around us! :) We can "call it" whatever we want to, but when we lay-bare the reality, we just get plain, old, out-of-control emotions. You say, Jana, we've already talked about emotions in one of your blogs, and I say, yes we have, but we still live in our mortal bodies & we still live with our emotions EVERYDAY!

I like to think of "drama" as an "Emotional Soap Opera". In our "emotional soap opera", we live each day re-hashing meaningless, decade-old, sub-thoughts that occupy our every waking moment, thought, and conversation. Our "Emotional Soap Opera" or "Drama" has now become our distraction...exactly where the enemy of Christians wants us...distracted, confused and off-course from the God-given purpose for our lives; distracted away from what TRULY matters in this life leaving no room in our thoughts and conversation for God and His plan!

I read something once that comes to mind now, "Distraction is just one step away from temptation". I thought that was pretty profound. You may ask temptation to what? I can't answer that for you. We all know ourselves and what tempts us. My temptation will be different than yours. I may be tempted to be lazy and quit trying to discipline my kids. I may want to escape into another fiction novel and tell everyone else to go away until they can grow up and act right and take care of me! Some of our temptations might be more detrimental to our health, finances, etc. I'm not trying to preach "gloom & doom", but I think we all need to look at our Dram-o-meter. Are we focusing on what REALLY, REALLY, REALLY matters in this life and to our Eternal life. Are we making a difference where God has called us to make a difference. What are we pursuing?
Are we having "Emotional Soap Operas" more than not?

In the pursuit of less DRAMA :),
Jana

3 comments:

Lane said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have left friendships because of the negativity that came from ALL THE DRAMA in their lives. I enjoyed your comment regarding distraction causing temptation. I totally agree and I let that get to me more often than I should. Thanks for the great reads!
L.

jodyh said...

Good stuff girlfriend. Not only is drama a distraction, it's exhausting! More love, less drama I say! Help me Jesus! hehe.

Jana Gibson said...

Thanks so muchd Lane and Jody! I have two readers, now! :) I'm feelin' the love! Smooches!!! Jana